Christian Service & Social Concerns Committee
This ministry reaches out to those in need in our parish, our neighborhood, our community, and other parts of the world. Our key for Christian Service is to follow the seven themes of Catholic Social Teaching.
1) Life and dignity of the human person from beginning to end of life
3) Rights and responsibilities for human dignity
4) Option for the poor and vulnerable
5) Dignity of work and the rights of workers
6) Solidarity with ALL our brothers and sisters, wherever they may be, for the pursuit of justice and peace
7) Care and stewardship for God’s creation – the earth.
Social Concerns is an organization that oversees many different outreaches. Some of these include the Christmas Giving Tree, the Nicaraguan orphanage, the Haiti orphanage, the Thanksgiving Food Drive, Gifts for shut-ins, the Benin (Africa) Mission, Refuge of Home, Peanut Butter and Jelly for Sherrick Road Church of God’s Summer Program, and the list goes on and on.
Educating the Community is also an important part of Social Concerns. In the past we have offered programs such as “Just Neighbors”, discussing the poverty of the working poor in our Community today; Immigration issues which affect many in our own Parish; Go Green – educating the Parish on Green efforts created within our own Church through recycling and energy efficiency; Blood Drives – raising awareness of needs for parish family members; Fair Trade coffee sales- bringing to the forefront need to protect rights of coffee growers to receive a fair wage.
The Committee sponsors the Mother Cabrini collections every third week of the month. These donations are used exclusively for needy parishioners of our parish.
The group meets approximately 6 times a year. Participation in individual efforts is encouraged. New members are always welcome.
Want to participate however can’t attend bi-monthly meetings?
You can select an event and share your gifts! (time commitment indicated)
- Lenten Lecture Series – 8 hours
- Mother’s Day/Father’s Day Collection – 4 hours
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Summer Donation – 1 hour week, 5 weeks
- Hispanic Summer School – drivers needed (volunteer for 1 day a week/5 weeks)
- Thanksgiving Baskets – 4 hours
- Thanksgiving food distribution – 8 hours
- Giving Tree – 6 hours
Contact Social Concerns through the office or leave a note in the folder outside of the Main office door.