St. Anthony/All Saints Mission Statement
We, the faith family at St. Anthony/All Saints Parish (Canton, Ohio), are rooted in Catholicism & celebrate the traditions of our heritages. We welcome all people & encourage their involvement. We celebrate & value the uniqueness of each person, & seek to live & spread the Word of Jesus in our neighborhood, community & throughout the world.
Forever home • Per sempre casa • Hogar para siempre • Zawsze do domu • Navždy domov
St. Anthony Parish
In an effort to serve the Italian population of Canton, Bishop Ignatius F. Horstmann of the Diocese of Cleveland assigned Fr. Adolph Cascanelli the task of organizing an Italian mission parish in 1908. For a short time, services were conducted at St. Peter in Canton. Then, in October of 1908, a lot was purchased and a frame church was built and dedicated at 918 Liberty St. S. E. in Canton.
This structure was used until it was condemned and torn down in 1924, with the intent to rebuild at the same location. However, three years lapsed before a new structure was completed. During that time, the Bishop was encouraging the parish to construct a larger church structure that would include a school and a priest residence. The property on Liberty Street was deemed too small to accommodate this larger complex of buildings. Rev. Joseph Riccardi became pastor in 1925 and led the parish in the construction of the present church building at 1530 Eleventh St. SE. The property for the church was donated by a widow named Edith M. Albert. The church and school building were dedicated on December 11, 1927.
Through the years, St. Anthony has been blessed with the good leadership of many pastors and associate pastors. Rt. Rev. Msgr. James P. McLaughlin served from 1936 to his death in 1979. Fr. Dacian Barrette served the parish with his capable leadership twice, from 1979-1986, and 1994-1995. In 1999, the parish began collaborating with All Saints Parish of Canton. In 2005, the community of St. Anthony welcomed the Hispanic community originally housed at All Saints.
St. Anthony celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2008 with 18 months of special events.
All Saints Parish
In a desire to serve the Polish community of Canton, Bishop Farrelly of the Cleveland Diocese authorized the organization of a separate parish in October of 1919. Rev. Francis Duda offered the first Mass for the Polish people on October 25, 1919 at St. Mary’s in Canton. By 1921, land was purchased on Henry Ave. in Southwest Canton, and a newchurch building was erected. The church was named Holy Cross and Rev. John Kubaci was appointed pastor. In 1922, it was renamed All Saints. The original structure was a white frame building and entirely built of wood.
Several renovations of the structure took place in the succeeding years to modernize and update the facility. Many wonderful pastors served over these years, lending their leadership and support. Stained-glass windows were installed between 1972 and 1980. Rev. Bonaventure Babik served from 1975 to 1986. Under his leadership a new unique altar design was commissioned and a colorful mural, depicting All Saints, was completed.
All Saints Parish continued to serve the Polish community of Canton, Ohio. The community lovingly celebrated its Polish heritage, traditions, and customs over its years as a parish. The “Novena of Our Lady of Czestochowa” became one of the most cherished within the faith family. In 1999, Father Thomas Bishop became the administrator of the parish. During his time of leadership, the All Saints community welcomed a growing Hispanic Community of Stark County.
The All Saints Community celebrated its 90th anniversary in October of 2010, commemorating its history and memories while looking forward to the future.
On March 13, 2011 the Canton parishes of St. Anthony and All Saints officially merged to form St. Anthony/All Saints Parish. With this merger, two long and beautiful traditions came together to begin a new history together. Today we are an ethnically diverse parish which continues to welcome and cherish its members and which looks forward to building a future together.
St. Anthony of Padua, Priest & Doctor (1195-1231)
St. Anthony of Padua was born at Lisbon, Portugal, in 1195. His surname comes from the Italian city where he lived the latter part of his life. His parents were members of the Portuguese nobility; his father was a knight at the court of King Alfonso II.
His early education took place at the cathedral of Lisbon. At the age of fifteen, he joined the Regular Canons of St. Augustine and was transferred to the monastery at Coimbra two years later because of distractions caused by his friends’ visits. At the monastery, Anthony devoted himself to prayer and study and became a learned scholar in the Bible.
In 1220, Don Pedro of Portugal brought the Relics of Franciscans who had been martyred to Coimbra. This had a tremendous effect on Anthony, who requested admission to the Franciscans. In 1221, he was accepted. Soon after, he set out for Morocco to preach the Gospel to the Moors. On the way to Morocco, he was forced to return to Europe because of illness. On his return home,a storm drove his ship to the shores of Italy, where he would live for the rest of his life.
Upon his return, Anthony went to Assisi, where the general chapter meeting of 1221 took place. At the meeting, he was assigned to the hermitage of Sao Paolo near Forli. It was in Forli that he gave a great sermon which propelled him into his calling as a preacher.
A gifted preacher, Anthony was also called upon to teach theology to his fellow Franciscans. He was the first member of the Franciscans to be so honored. Anthony drew large crowds wherever he went in Italy, but his greatest success was in Padua where the entire city flocked to hear his word and welcomed him as another St. Francis.
After the death of Francis, Anthony became the minister provincial of Emilia or Romagna. In 1226, he was elected as the envoy from the general chapter to Pope Gregory XI. Soon after, he was released from this duty so he could continue his preaching. He returned to Padua, where he preached until his death. Anthony died on June 13, 1231 at the age of thirty-six. He is a Doctor of the Church.
Litany of the Lost
Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy. Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.
For those of us who have lost…
- our health,
- our peace of mind,
- our housing,
- our financial security,
- a loved one,
- our dreams,
- our talents,
- our initial zeal,
- our sobriety,
- our faith,
- our self-respect,
- our perspective,
- our innocence,
- our independence,
- peace within our families,
- civil peace,
- our trust in others,
- our virtue,
- our home
Lamb of God, You take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
Let us pray, All loving God, You have given us St. Anthony,
the patron of the lost, as an intercessor of those
who are in need of your mercy.
Listen to his voice, as he calls out to You on our behalf,
and grant those things which will help us grow in Your love.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.